Your tree service company should explain and advise if permits are necessary for the work you wish them to undertake.
Double-check with the tree service company to ensure they have applied and received all required permits before they carry out the work..
Ask to see the permits and, if possible, keep a record of any paperwork issued.
Other things to consider:
- Ownership – ensure the tree you wish to remove is legally yours to fell, this might seem stupid but there are strict laws in place with felling another person’s tree so, it’s all better to make sure or you could open yourself up to a civil suit.
- HOA – if you live in a Homeowner’s Association (HOA) area, you may need their approval to remove or alter trees, even if they are on your private property.
It is always better to seek advice and their written approval beforehand than to risk possible fines and annoyance later. Once done, there’s no going back.
- Historic & heritage areas – trees in historic or heritage neighborhoods and other areas may have protection that prevents their removal (unless it is unsafe to leave them in situ – always check the regulations before hiring a tree removal company, even if the tree is dead) or pruning so if in doubt, double check.
- Tree canopies – tree canopies are an important and beautiful part of some Boston neighborhoods. Before undertaking any tree removal or pruning, it is important to check whether your property falls into one of these neighborhoods or if they’re protected by a Tree Canopy Ordinance.
- Neighbors – check out this great resource from Mass.gov about Massachusetts law about neighbors and trees
Do you require tree service in Newton or anywhere in the Greater Boston Area?
Call us or use our contact form to receive a free quote from our Boston tree experts.